Monday, November 9, 2009

Work Pet Peeves

Someone asked me recently what my work pet peeves are. At the time, I was only a couple of days on the job and was totally in the honeymoon period. I'm now on week 5 and have found that I actually have a number of work pet peeves. Some include:

1) If you set a meeting with me, please don't spend the majority of the time checking e-mail and doing things other than actually talking to me about what the meeting is about. It's a complete waste of time and I'd prefer to update you via e-mail if all you want to do IS read your e-mail

2) Don't talk to me about projects that I know nothing about as if I should be fully versed in what the issues are. And when I tell you that I know nothing about what you're talking about, either tell me the backstory or drop it. Don't just keep speaking.

3) If I send you an e-mail, don't tell me that I didn't. Because if you look through your inbox, you will find it. I can reforward it, but that just makes you look dumber than you already look.

4) If you get an e-mail that was forwarded to you and has the backstory included in it, I'd suggest reading through the last few e-mails so you know what's going on. Don't tell me that I'm wrong when I start talking about information that was just as available to you as it was to me.

5) Don't just tell me I'm wrong, period. Unless you are entirely certain that I am wrong. It's insulting.

6) Don't answer the phone when we're having a meeting unless it's your boss.

7) ATTEMPT to learn processes and don't blame your ignorance on being new.

I have more, I'm sure. but this is what I have so far. I know I sound picky about all of this, but I'm currently frustrated with certain job situations. Luckily I like the actual work I do. It's just working with new personalities that drive me crazy.

No comments: