Monday, August 6, 2007

Lollapalooza 2007

Three days and 130 bands. 90 degree heat, rain showers, and crazy humidity. It was a great weekend. :)

To preface this whole thing, I have to say that I wasn't super-jazzed about going this weekend. The lineup was pretty unfamiliar to me and I pretty much planned to going to see a few bands and then leaving early. Happily, I stayed for most of the times on each day and heard some great music.

The two bands that I was most excited to see were The Fratellis and Amy Winehouse. The Fratellis played on Friday, first thing, and they were amazing. For being 11:45 in the morning, they sounded great and were fun a lively. The rest of the day (in the 90 degree heat) consisted of Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, The Polyphonic Spree (wow), M.I.A., a bit of G. Love & Special Sauce and finally the Black Keys. I left early that night to walk the dog, but I hear that LCD Soundsystem was amazing as well.


Saturday was a perfect day for a festival. 80 and overcast. No more sunburn! Ryan Shaw (who loves everyone), Rhymefest, The Roots, The Hold Steady (amazing), and we sat really close for Spoon and while we got rained on (and I got feisty with the stupid people in the crowd), it was a great time.
Sunday started with Rodrigo y Gabriela who are so talented--I was totally impressed. Then Amy Winehouse. Okay. She sounded great, but there was no excitement from her. She was NOT pleased to be there. After the very last song, she just walked off the stage--her band was still playing even! Kind of disappointing, but it was still nice to see her play. I'd prefer to see her in a venue where people where there to see HER and not just to hear her radio song (Rehab). Not the best place for her to play, I think.
Then, completely opposite of Miss Winehouse, was Iggy and the Stooges. Wow. That man is amazing--what a great performer. At one point he let a bunch of the audience on the stage (pissing off his security) but everyone was pretty well behaved.
The last show of the day (after Yo La Tengo, Modest Mouse, and TV on the Radio) was Pearl Jam. Wow. They put on a great show, complete with two encores. I got home around 11:45 last night and fell into bed after a great weekend.


(and yes, this wasn't that interesting, but it's most a list for myself to remember what I saw!!!)

No comments: