Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wednesday, October 29th Dinner

Last night I went for the unhealthiest of my recipes. Oh my. Butter and cheese. LOTS of butter and cheese.

I made Ham and Cheese Cannelloni and garlic bread. It was super-easy with just a few ingredients, most of which were easy to find. The only weird one was the egg roll wrappers, but since I only used 6 of them, I'll have them for a while yet so I won't have to search for them again.
It took really only took about 15 minutes to put this thing together and stick it in the oven. The garlic bread took about 5 minutes more (mostly because I had to chop garlic. If you have that stuff in a jar, it'll be even faster). The recipe called for a 9x9 pan (which I don't have) and for 8 cannellonis. Um...I only had 6 pieces of ham (Bob had a sandwhich before I could stop him) and then I ran out of the cheese filling and room in the dish anyway, so it worked out well, actually.
The recipe calls for 20 minutes in the oven, but in order to get a browner top, I left it in for almost 30. The dish was crazy-bubbling when I pulled it out of the oven.And the final meal. All yellow. No vegetables. All butter and cheese. Oy. I think we'll have have to have something really green and veggie tonight to make up for it.
It was REALLY good though (was there ever any doubt? Cheese? Butter? Bread? Good stuff) and not that expensive. I just needed to buy the ricotta and the egg roll wrappers, both of which have leftovers so I could make this dish twice with the standard packaging. I'd say...about $10 total? Only because of I got good ham. Replace the ham with budding or generic ham and it'd be even cheaper.

2 comments:

Geggie said...

Yum!

But, girl...get a crock pot!! They are fabulous and perfect for you!

Amanda said...

Ha! The funny thing is is that we actually have two--but Bob's so worried that the house will burn down if it's on while we're gone that we only use them on the weekends.

He's funny.