Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Monday, October 27th Dinner

I spent a good amount of time on Saturday looking through recipes so that Bob and I could have real food instead of frozen chicken patties or pizza for dinner. We really want to try to eat healthier and while the foods that I picked aren't exactly low-cal, at least they're not directly from the freezer. :) Baby steps.

My first dinner creation was Gaucho Cheesesteaks.
It took me about an hour for the whole process, but then again I started using the food processor, decided it wasn't working right (it wasn't...I needed chopped jalapenos, not slices!) and then hand cut everything. And I cooked the meat after I did the sauce, so the whole "15 minutes prep" thing noted on the recipe? Not so much. They turned out pretty well through.I only used 1 pound of skirt steak (because...expensive!) but forgot to split the sauce part of the recipe, so there was a really strong flavor of red wine vinegar, but I still got 4 sandwiches out of the deal. So leftovers!It came to about $24 total for the ingredients (I had some on hand) for 4 sandwiches. Not horrible, but not that great. But then again...steak. So it was worth it. I'd make it again. Except I'd ask for help with the dishes. There were a lot because I had issues with what size bowl to use. :) You can't see it, but there are two more in the sink.

No comments: