Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tuesday, October 28th Dinner

Last night's culinary feat (ha!) was...Chicken, Biscuits 'n' Gravy Casserole! It was pretty chilly last night and this sounded like a good idea. Total comfort food. Well, that and I needed to use the rotisserie chicken I bought from the grocery store before I went funky.

Not too many ingredients and it was easy to put together--just shred chicken in the bottom of a casserole pan, make the gravy and pour over, and then add the biscuits to the top. There were even vegetables in there so we felt somewhat healthy as we ate biscuits and gravy. :)

The recipe calls for you to make garlic butter and brush the tops of the biscuits. Yum, yes. But now our kitchen is TOTALLY garlic-y. Is there a way to make that smell dissipate a bit? I like homey, cooky smells, but this is a little much. Here's the dish before going into the oven:

And here it is just out of the oven:

Good stuff. It could use a little more liquid in the gravy (the biscuits make it a little dry) but otherwise it's pretty good. Bob and I kept throwing out ideas to adjust the recipe--sausage for a breakfast version, brown gravy for the top, things like that. Pretty versatile recipe, I think. Also, it was pretty cheap to make--about $10 in total. The biggest cost was the chicken and the mushrooms. Not bad!

Tonight I'll be using wonton wrappers. Oh my. We'll see how that works out...

No comments: