Thursday, June 14, 2007

Cicadas Are Loud Little Buggers

So I was going to post this on Monday but, well, I forgot. So I'll do it now.

Last weekend I went out to the burbs to celebrate my nephew's 2nd birthday and to see the family. Sadie went with, which was fun, but she was a hellion in my mom's house. Lots of accidents AND she broke the screen door (she broke a major hole in it). NICE. Sigh.

My sister lives in Downer's Grove which is like Cicada Central. She's had to scrape them off of her fence and spent part of the morning on Sunday sweeping them off of her back porch so that we could enjoy the day outside. I ventured outside a couple times, but after being dive bombed by the buggers a couple of times, I spent the day indoors. Outside of the fact that they're big and orange, they are LOUD. Like, by the end of the party (around 3), we were practically shouting at each other when we were outside.

I took a video (Ben's on the left about half-way through the video).



I also took a picture. It's just one cicada on it's side, but I didn't really want a photo of the pile of dead ones by the tree. There were about 200 of them. Ick.



And Sadie had a good time playing with Dakota, to the point where she just passed out on the kitchen floor.


Oh, and my nephew had a good birthday but I didn't get a lot of good pictures. I'll have to get some from my sister.

No comments: