Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Weekend Update--Memorial Day Edition

I had both a lazy and productive weekend. Very nice.

I finally finished unpacking (although I have one box left of stuff I don't know what to do with--empty picture frames and other random stuff) and I actually hung stuff on the walls. I never did this in my old apartment, so this place is SO much more "finished" than the last one. It looks pretty good actually! The family room is still blah, but since I don't hang out there that much I don't care too much. :)

On Saturday I went to the grocery store for the first time since March. Between moving and going on vacation, it never made much sense to me to go to the store. I had such a good time! I was up early (thanks Sadie) and after an hour walk with the pup, I left for the store. I got a coffee and shopped for a good hour. Tons of produce, some seafood, and other natural, healthy stuff and I was out the door, $135 lighter. The total was a bit of a shock, but I reasoned it away with "well, I did get olive oil" and "it's healthy food!!" And the best thing? I wasn't embarrassed by anything in my cart. Ever since the time I bought ice cream, mac & cheese, peanut butter, and a snickers bar behind the guy with organic vegetables and tofu I've been really conscious of what I buy. This was the first time that I was proud of my purchases! Veggies, fruit, chicken, and no processed, crappy food. Yay me!

Now comes the fight against time so that my produce doesn't spoil before I eat it! Chicken and leeks with a salad last night for dinner, shrimp and chickpeas for dinner the night before. Tonight? Um...leftovers, probably. With a salad. For some reason the lettuce gets bad on me first.

And I brought cherries and an apple to work today. Yay cherries! (They're better with Nutella though)

I also wandered over to the 7-11 that is near my apartment. It's so close! That's trouble since I love me some slurpees. I had two this weekend. I try not to think about how much sugar is in one of those things.

In between all of my unpacking, grocery shopping and slurpee drinking, I saw a few movies: The Departed (awesome), Just My Luck (horrible, ugh), and Happy Feet (eh, fine). Plus 4 hours of Veronica Mars. I'm so sad that show is off the air.

My apartment is also part of Chicago's new recycling program so my roommate and I are recycling maniacs. We've filled our recycle-can three times already. Go green!

No comments: